One of the foods I’ve missed since going vegan is French toast, or ‘eggy bread’, as I have always referred to it. (You can take the girl out of the North…) You just can’t beat it for a decadent breakfast now and then.
I made this earlier and I have to say I was really impressed. Will definitely be making it again!
- Four thick slices of wholegrain, organic bread
- Organic extra virgin coconut oil
- Half a pint of almond milk
- Generous drizzle of maple syrup (plus extra for serving)
- Couple of dessert spoonfuls of nutritional yeast (this, combined with the Kala Namak, give the dish a slight ‘eggy’ flavour
- A small sprinkle of Kala Namak (black salt)
- A generous sprinkle of cinnamon
- Organic strawberries (blueberries or raspberries would also work well)
- Mix the almond milk, maple syrup, nutritional yeast, Kala Namak, cinnamon in a jug or bowl
- Pour a small amount onto a plate and soak the bread, on both sides, adding more milk mixture as needed
- Melt some coconut oil in a flat-bottomed, non-stick frying pan
- Fry the bread for a couple of minutes each side, until brown
- Serve topped with maple syrup, extra cinnamon and strawberries