I’m always on the lookout for ways to “veganize” foods that I enjoyed before I stopped eating animal products. This is a recent discovery and I love it! Tortilla is often served in tapas bars around Spain in small cubes but this is equally delicious served hot or cold with a big green salad. It keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days and frequently pops up in our picnic hamper over the summer.
I’ve substituted the eggs for silken tofu flavoured with kala namak and nutritional yeast for a subtle “eggy” taste. Although I adore the taste of turmeric I initially added it to this recipe for the colour as much as anything else.
- 2 packs of silken tofu
- Olive oil
- 2 large potatoes (thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons of dill (dried or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon of ground kala namak (black salt)
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- Sea salt and pepper to season
- Blend the tofu, turmeric, kala namak, nutritional yeast, dill, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil to a smooth consistency.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a non-stick frying pan and heat it up
- Add a layer of the tofu mix followed by a thin layer of potato
- Continue this process until all the ingredients are used up. Make sure you finish with a layer of the tofu mix
- Put on a low heat for 40 minutes to cook through
- Finish off with a few minutes under a hot grill to brown off